The blog of a person....yeah that sounds good.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

to protect the world from devastation.

Here's a preview of a poster I made. If you wish to see a bigger version, you'll have to mosey on over to my zazzle gallery. Link on the left.



Right.
I should probably write something here.
Well....someone in the comments of my last post whom I assume values my opinion (lord knows why o_O) asked me what I thought of Howl's Moving Castle.

I thought it was ok. Thats it. Not great. Not bad. Just ok. Animation-wise it was superb. Gorgeous visuals and imagination flying out the ass like most Ghibli films.
Story-wise, meh. I got the same vibe I got from "The Black Cauldron" and "Chronicles of Narnia"
That vibe known as "they weren't able to successfully cram a long long book into a 2-hour film." And due to this, the drama was a bit awkward, and the ending seemed very rushed. But hey, it's a long long book. Lord of the Rings did the whole trilogy thing, and Peter Jackson still had to take out like 40% of the books. Losing Tom Bombadil was no big loss though.

I don't think Howl's Moving Castle is anywhere NEAR the awesome epitome of gnarly that was "Spirited Away" which literally had me slapping my knees with glee by the end. Or anywhere near the subtle nuances of "Kiki's Delivery Service" which was the first Ghibli film I ever saw (mainly because I knew Phil Hartman (RIP) was in it).
In fact, dare I say, I think Howl's is probably Miyazaki's worst film. It's still miles above most of the slop that hollywood spoonfeeds the masses every month, but its not that great. Heck I thought even Porco Rosso was better.

But who cares what I think anyway.

Onto another subject:

As some of you know (like....4 people) I am an insomniac. I only a few hours o' sleep every week. My body just doesn't function right. Most people would be afraid this might affect their health, but other than some dry patch of discolored skin that's been on my shin for like a year, I'm fine.
My chum Ben, who is oddly, also my Boss at work, told me that to help him sleep he listens to the Soundscapes music channel. It's one of those music-playing tv channels run by the cable companies. Ambient music mostly. Light techno. Of course, I normally listen to this type of music while I'm awake. Most of my music is not in cd format, and I sure as heck was not going to try to sleep near the pc.
THusly, last night I took out one of my cd's of classical music called "The Sounds of Tuscany" and let it play.

My God.

Out like a god damned light. And I woke up slightly tired and feeling like a million bucks. I'm surprised my 1995 boombox still works. So tonight, I shall be doing this again. I bid thee goodnight and sweet dreams.
May you dream of singing poop.

4 comments:

Pinao said...

Heya. It's nice to hear that you can sleep now!

I just realized how much I count on this blog for something to do. I found myself checking several times a day after about 3 days since the last post.

Anonymous said...

Well i guess that means no more late nights on the internet for you.

And to David, you're not the only one.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Zekey.

Tis the magic and joy of saddvic music. It always has that effect.

I'm still debating whether E.S. Posthumous is saddvic. I've been waking up very tired every day, not sure if this music is any better than other things I have to listen to.

Still, I don't usually like to change my tune unless it's very necessary. I must keep going.

Meanwhile, you should enjoy the rest you get from the tracks you play. You deserve it.

Back in your Pokeball.

Pinao said...

To anigen:
Is that all you have to say about that?