The blog of a person....yeah that sounds good.

Thursday, November 22, 2007

there can be no understanding between the hand and the brain unless the heart acts as mediator



Brent is visiting for the nest 4 days or so. For clarification, long long ago, when my father moved from the Bahamas to Canada to work as an accountant, he met Brent. Brent and his friend Brickel introduced my father to my mother. Something I think they both deeply regret now.

Brent's a nice guy. He has a bald head, big thick glasses and a mustache. He's very Canadian. A stream of "eh" comes from near everything he says. He's a connoisseur of beer, and is friendly as a parrot.

He's visiting my father for Thanksgiving.
Which is technically today.
And in usual Thanksgiving tradition, I am all but forgetting this is a holiday. I get to work tomorrow closing as usual. And for Thanksgiving dinner I will more than likely be having a turkey sub from Subway. As nice as it would have been to have the day off, the store is open 365 days a year. Which is absolutely dense and cruel. But I guess that's what business is all about.

The M200 Toshiba tablet PC has not arrived yet. And I wait with baited breath for it's arrival.
But until then, I just have to be patient.

I saw two movies today. The first was Paprika by Satoshi Kon

As with most of his films, the movie was a double-edged sword. Much like Perfect Blue, there is a bit of a twist ending near the finale that completely changes how you've been viewing the character relationships thus far. In terms of plot and idea, it's very similar to Paranoia Agent, also by Kon. Similar idea, similar music, similar ideals. In fact, Paprika could easily be "Paranoia Agent: THE MOVIE"
Overall, it was very lovely. I don't think I liked it quite as much as I loved his previous film "Tokyo Godfathers" which still makes me smile just thinking about it. Everything Kon makes is great. Do I dare compare him to Kubrick?
I wish Madhouse and Production I.G. and Studio 4C were more popular here in America. Ah well.

The other movie I saw today was THE MIST. Unlike what the trailers for this film might have shown, the movie is not about a mist that eats people. It's about another dimension leaking into our own and bringing with it, lots of strange and deadly creatures of all shapes and sizes. A very fun, but very sad and depressing monster movie. Don't expect to see a happy ending. You will witness the saddest ending in a movie ever. But if you like movies like "Signs" or "The Things" or "Evolution" than I highly HIGHLY recommend it. I wouldn't say it's Frank Darabonte's best film. Not by a long shot. But its a sweet monster movie.

Time now to read a book and wait for morning.

No comments: